bigkath

BigKath: Just in case you were wondering, "bigkath" is made up of the first part of my last and first names and has nothing to do with my size. :o)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Conquering Snowboarding!

When I was about 13, I went skiing for the first time. My dad took me straight up the lift, and to make a long story short, after attempting to ski down the slope and getting scared and humiliated, I ended up taking off my skis, walking down the mountain, and sitting in the car the rest of the day. My 13 year old pride was crushed. I was embarrassed and angry with myself. Needless to say, it was bad experience.

So when some friends started talking about going snowboarding, I was apprehensive, but I wanted to overcome my fears and just DO IT! And I did. I'm not going to lie, I prayed a lot that I would be humble and teachable and that I wouldn't get overwhelmed emotionally. I had to let go of my pride and let someone teach me how to do it. I also had to let myself fall and get up again, knowing I wouldn't and couldn't be perfect at it right away.

It was hard not to compare myself to everyone else. They all seemed to be able to snowboard so much better than me and were learning so much faster. But as soon as I started thinking about this, my own confidence would drop and I would crash harder and more often. So I would tell myself as I started picking up speed on the slopes "Yes, Katherine. You can do this!" It was a mental game.

I crashed a lot. :o) But I was not about to give up! And I had a blast! The second time I went snowboarding, I was trying to learn how to turn and carve so I fell a lot harder (thankfully I was wearing a helmet!) I got a 7-inch bruise on my rear end and it was the coolest bruise I have ever had! And I couldn't even show it off (no one wanted to see it . . I wonder why :o). I still have a lot to learn in order to be good at snowboarding. But I will get there little, by little. And now I want to learn to ski as well!

I'm so grateful for the encouragement of my friends who have helped me overcome this fear! I wouldn't have been able to do it alone!

Picture: Me and my great friend, Jeniel, who helped encourage me to conquer snowboarding!

1 comment:

  1. How about Cross Country Ski? I love it! Not only is it more affordable; it's great exercise. Plus, my feet are not connected together; a.k.a. no "bum bruises". The boys believe I have master the art of the most fascinating falls. It brings great laughter! Laughter: a great tool for those key words, humble and teachable.

    ReplyDelete