bigkath

BigKath: Just in case you were wondering, "bigkath" is made up of the first part of my last and first names and has nothing to do with my size. :o)

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Conquering Social Fears

I went to my stake Valentine's dinner/dance. And I have many things to be proud of as far as conquering social fears goes:
  • I initially went by myself. (That takes guts. I don't like big crowds of new people where most people are already with their own group of friends.)

  • While driving there I made the goal of talking to at least 5 new people. I at least tripled that! I talked with a lot of new people.

  • I had some extremely awkward moments talking with new people. But in the words of a friend, "It build's character!"

  • I stayed for the whole activity! (6:45 - 11:00 p.m.)

  • I sang Karaoke for the first time in my life with my fabulous roomies!

  • I joined a group of ward friends and attempted to "dance." (I really dislike the way young people in the U.S. dance, a.k.a. jump up and down and act all crazy like. It makes me really uncomfortable. But I tried! Maybe someday I will be able to just let loose! There is a crazy side of me somehwere deep down inside.)

  • And last but not least . . . I survived! I went. I made an effort. And it didn't kill me!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to ALL of that!
    I like how you made a simple goal...5 people...something to break it down and give you focus. Way to go!
    The closing line sums it all up..."And it didn't kill me!" ...You are Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine- this is huge! Way to go girly!

    ReplyDelete