bigkath

BigKath: Just in case you were wondering, "bigkath" is made up of the first part of my last and first names and has nothing to do with my size. :o)

Monday, February 27, 2012

Going up? Looking up!

Have you ever noticed that people generally don't talk on elevators?  It is the funniest thing.  Even a group of people will be talking and then when they walk into the elevator and the doors close . . . dead silence. Also everyone turns around to face the door.  I think it is hilarious. 

I work on the 12th floor of a hospital so I'm on the elevator several times a day.  I have been trying to talk with someone on the elevator and brighten there day.  Most of them are stressed because they have a family member in the hospital, or they are a clueless student like me.  It is amazing what you can get out of a person in just the 30 seconds you are with them on an elevator.  I try to get them to smile before they get off onto their floor.  And it makes me happier too.  Try it next time you are on an elevator.  You'll be amazed at what happens!

Elevators also remind me of Carl B. Cook's story of a day he felt overwhelmed with his head hung low, staring at the elevator floor.  He heard a voice ask him "What are you looking at down there?"  It was President Thomas S. Monson who then said, "It is better to look up!"  I hope we can look up to God, trust Him, and help those around us "look up" and feel of His love.

2 comments:

  1. What a great thought :) Thanks my sweet cousin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine....your crazy California cousin Janine has always made a point to talk to people in elevators....not sure why...just always have....Love your Blog!! oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete