bigkath

BigKath: Just in case you were wondering, "bigkath" is made up of the first part of my last and first names and has nothing to do with my size. :o)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Then and Now . . . 5 years past

Then
Now

It has been five years since I returned home from my mission to Chile. I served an 18-month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was assigned to Antofagasta, Chile. When I arrived in the driest desert in the world (the Atacama Desert), I felt like I had landed on the moon. Everything was foreign to me and my comfort zone was long gone. But I learned so much from my time in Chile. It was difficult, but I wouldn't trade those months for anything.
Then - Iquique Chile, 2005
(this wasn't my desk, I was never that messy!)
Now - Graduate School, 2011
(this also wasn't my desk, and I'm not this organized anymore)

I have never felt so much joy in my life as I did while serving the Lord Jesus Christ every minute of every day during my mission. Since I have come home, my life has not gone the way I thought it would (surprise, surprise). Life never does. I never thought I would get a Master's degree, and here I am in my second year. Heavenly Father is stretching me and helping me to become better and stronger than I could ever imagine.

Then - the mission made me fat
Now - Graduate school made me a little too skinny
I reflected on the goals that I set upon leaving the mission. It was humbling to see some of the goals that I had accomplished and a lot that I haven't. I'm so grateful for repentance and the chance to change and become better. There are so many things to work on. I'm grateful for anniversaries, birthday, and holidays that make us look back and reflect on our lives, see how far we have come, and determine what we want to accomplish next.

1 comment: