bigkath

BigKath: Just in case you were wondering, "bigkath" is made up of the first part of my last and first names and has nothing to do with my size. :o)

Sunday, January 6, 2013

More fears conquered



A little too much fun!
Why didn't anyone tell me how
awful my hair looked?
I completed another "first"!  I shot a gun! And according to my friend, I was pretty decent at it for a first timer, so watch out!  I had never touched a gun before in my life and I was nervous.  But my best friend, Heather, helped walk me through it and was right there to help. I think I hit the targets I was shooting at about half the time.  And most of my misses were because I started trying to double tap (shoot twice in a row).  Cool!  I secretly really enjoyed shooting!  :)


Thanks, Heather, for helping me conquer fears!
We went on a campout getaway in October and let's just say it was . . . memorable. Yes, it snowed.  I think the pictures tell the story quite nicely.  I really did have a great time though!



Doesn't this look like so much fun???
Not a waterproof tent . . . obviously

Cheese Wiz fun!
We stayed pretty warm in our snow covered tent
Heather and her Fiance, Adriaan. This photo is not photoshopped. The water really was that green!
 

I'm also working on another great fear of mine . . . SWIMMING! I haven't been able to swim. I'm skinny and I don't float. And various experiences throughout my life have led me dislike the water more and more.  So, Heather took me to the pool and patiently worked with me to get more comfortable in the water.  We realized my problem is that I don't know how to breathe! The concept of breathing out through the nose while under water and in through the mouth is completely backwards to me. No wonder! My underwater reflexes need some work. We "swam" for a good 2 hours. I only aspirated once and came up gasping and making terrible noises (it's kinda scary and really embarrassing).  I did a lot of practicing blowing bubbles. Back to the basics! It's going to take a while to conquer swimming.  But I'm working on it!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Katherine I LOVE you! I wish badly, so badly, that we lived close. I know we'd be best friends. I would love to conquer fears and firsts with you, I have a few myself. And owning a gun is one of mine...(I also hate swimming, someone once told me i look like I'm drowning while I do laps, and I replied, because i am, thankyouverymuch) NICELY DONE GIRL!
    ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Such a Proud Cousin here in San Diego!!!
    Keep up the great work Katherine!
    Can't say I'd go camping in a tent in the snow being a Southern California Girl....
    brrrrrrr cold freeeezin'!!
    Love to see your updates.
    Cousin J

    ReplyDelete